Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Dancing With the Stars and Arthur Murray Dallas and Plano

I was pretty excited about this seasons cast of characters for Dancing With the Stars. After watching the show last night I am still thrilled with who they chose! Even though the show has been on now for several years, the intrigue of watching other people learn to dance hasn't changed! What has changed is the public's general perception of what dancing can do for you in your life!

I remember the first season of the show. We had many, many people come into the studio wanting to "dance like the people on TV". Most of them thought it was something they could accomplish in about a week's time. After all, isn't that how long it takes them on the show?!?! As you can imagine, many were disappointed when we had to give them a little bit of education. Yeah, you can learn a routine to a dance in one week's time...if you work at it for 8 hours a day like it was your full time job. Then, you could dance that routine with your teacher, but no one else because you haven't really learned how to lead/follow. etc., etc., etc.

However, as the seasons have progressed and the Stars have opened up and shared their own personal experiences of how dancing has impacted them, the public has also started to see beyond the glitz and glamour and into the more substantial side of social dancing! We've seen stars experience a total body make-over, weight loss after having kids, a self-esteem boost, the feeling of accomplishment that comes from learning something new, a way to push through tough times, and much more. So, now, when people come in because they love to watch Dancing With the Stars, it's because they see dancing as a way to win whatever personal battle they are struggling with at that time. It could be weight loss, meeting new people, improved confidence, exercise, realxation, or any of the other wonderful benefits that dancing has to offer.

Last year, Kelly Osbourn was my favorite. I guess I am truly a dance teacher at heart, because I don't look at the flashiest costume, the most wiggly hips, the best showmanship, or the most popular star. I look for the one who is experiencing the most inner change and the most growth. Last night, Chelsea Hightower told her partner Jake that the competition is not about who does the best first performance...it's about who grows the most as a dancer over the course of the show. I totally agree! This year, there are a lot of great Stars who will put on a grand show. The debut night last night was one of the best so far. There is a lot of talent out there! But, my prediction this year for the Star who will experience the most change during the show (if she let's the dancing work its magic) is Kate Gosselin. I'm not saying she will win, but I think this is a woman who has been through a lot of emotional crap in the last year or so, and I think if she opens up her heart and lets dancing in, she will find out just how strong she really is. I think it will heal a lot of hurt for her and give her a positive outlook on life again.

Among the other contestants, I thought that Evan Lysacek and Nicole Scherzinger did a great job last night...but I also think they have a little bit of an advantage over the others. Ochocinco surprised me, and the rest of the playing field seems pretty even to me.

Anyway, I hope you are realdy for a great season and if you aren't already learning to dance with us at Arthur Murray, come on in and give it a shot...if everyone else is doing it, why aren't you? You deserve to experience what life is like when you have the confidence to dance, don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment